Senior Shelter Assistant, Assistant principal d’hébergement, Batouri, UNHCR
Role Responsibilities/ Responsabilités du rôle
Hardship Level (not applicable for home-based)
Family Type (not applicable for home-based)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Target Start Date
Job Posting End Date
May 8, 2023
Terms of Reference
The Incumbent will be based to Batouri.
Standard Job Description
Senior Shelter Assistant
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior Shelter Assistant assists in carrying out comprehensive sectoral needs assessments in liaison with other relevant sectors such as protection, programme, community services, public health, WASH, administration and supply. To ensure the most effective response, both quantitative and qualitative data should be gathered on the profile/needs and living conditions of both the displaced population and host community. The incumbent will assist in the day to-day operations of all construction and general infrastructure projects within the Area of Responsibility (AoR).
The incumbent assists the supervisor in ensuring that shelter & infrastructure responses within the AoR evolve according to the changing nature of the situation, progressively working towards more durable solutions and drawing from sustainable local building practices and materials. S/he provides technical assistance in general infrastructure and construction implementation and monitoring.
Within an urban context, it is essential that shelter responses take into consideration urban planning strategies, including an analysis of residential areas, housing affordability and availability. In addition, regardless of the context, shelter assistance should always minimize the risk of harm, eviction, exploitation and abuse, overcrowded living conditions, limited access to services and unhygienic conditions. Special attention must be given to the environment and low carbon approaches, attention to material selection through sustainable means to ensure a green approach to shelter delivery.
The Senior Shelter Assistant normally reports to a more senior shelter colleague.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Assist in the preparation, data collection and review of shelter needs assessments while liaising with other relevant sectors such as protection, programme, community services, WASH, administration and supply.
– Work with the relevant stakeholders to ensure that the shelter beneficiary selection process prioritises the needs of the most vulnerable Persons of Concern (PoC).
– Assist in the daily management of all UNHCR construction and infrastructure projects through Direct Implementation and Implementing Partners within the AoR ensuring that works are carried out in compliance with established UNHCR and national standards.
– Follow up of the design and construction of infrastructure (schools, health centres, reception centres, drainage and roadworks etc) to confirm these are approved by the relevant authorities, technically sound, supplemented with accurate drawings, detailed BQs and specifications and they are implemented according to plans, completed within designated timelines, budget and ensure that this information is shared with relevant colleagues.
– Work closely with other relevant sectors such as WASH, education and health so that shelter and infrastructure implementation is synchronised and coordinated.
– Assist implementing partners on technical shelter and infrastructure issues.
– Provide technical assistance in the field of shelter, construction and infrastructure development within the AoR to best meet the needs of PoC.
– Work with the government, relevant authorities and counterparts to ensure strong coordination of shelter and infrastructure projects within the AoR.
– Actively work with Programme as a member of the Multi-Functional Team and participate in multi-sectoral activities to ensure protection and assistance needs of the population are met.
– Assist in the preparation of bid documents for all construction and infrastructure projects including technical specifications, BoQs, drawings, etc.
– Assist in the technical evaluation of received bids as well as in the review/inspection of the quality of shelter and infrastructure products/works during implementation and at completion.
– Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G5 – 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
Civil Engineering; Architecture;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Relevant working experience, including collaboration with different international organizations. Good technical knowledge about construction standards and guidance, particularly knowledge on all shelter typologies utilized in UNHCR refugee responses.
Knowledge of UNHCR shelter standards, as well as standards related to protection, environment and land use. Good knowledge of Auto Cad, site surveying and experience in undertaking related topography assessments/ feasibility studies for site identification and environmental impact studies whilst using surveying tools (including GPS equipment, GIS software).
SP-Autocad for Settlement Planning
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Architecture – Other, Civil Engineering – Other
This position doesn’t require a functional clearance
Postuler (Apply for the job) sur son site Internet: https://unhcr.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Batouri-Cameroon/Senior-Shelter-Assistant_JR2316555?locationCountry=b579d21545a140c49418f0a3451a3160
The Weekly Job Report, Le rapport de travail hebdomadaire: https://afriquejobs.com/?s=Job+Report
All companies hiring (Entreprises qui emploi au Cameroun): https://www.afriquejobs.com/2020/07/emplois-jobs-au-cameroun-liste-des.html
More jobs (Plus d\’offres d\’emploi): https://www.afriquejobs.com/