Senior Transport Specialist, Spécialiste principal des transports, Yaoundé, World Bank
Role Responsibilities/ Responsabilités du rôle
Job #: req21943
Organization: World Bank
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
Required Language(s): English and French
Preferred Language(s): English and French
Closing Date: 4/18/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
The World Bank
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty and promoting shared prosperity. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, http://www.worldbank.org.
Western and Central Africa (AFW) Region
We need the best and brightest talent focused on Sub-Saharan African countries, to harness the potential and innovation happening across the continent. Africa is a continent on the move, with a young population and a growing market of nearly 1.2bn people. We are committed to making the Africa regional teams into leading innovation hubs.
Yet, these vast opportunities are tempered by persistent gaps in education, health, and skills, which have Africa only reaching forty percent of its estimated potential. Moreover, conflict, food insecurity, population growth, and the disruptive forces of climate change threaten to curtail or even reverse the progress that has been made over the past decades.
In West and Central Africa, the World Bank is a leading partner with a growing portfolio of 386 projects totaling more than $53.2 billion in areas such as agriculture, trade and transport, energy, education, health, water and sanitation- all to support job creation, gender equality, poverty reduction, and better lives. Across the continent, the World Bank’s program has nearly doubled over the last 10 years. By 2030, about 87% of the world’s extreme poor are projected to live in Sub-Saharan Africa, so this is where our mission to end extreme poverty and to promote shared prosperity will be achieved.
Are you ready to make an impact? We are looking for dedicated professionals to join our innovative and diverse team to improve people’s lives and help countries build back better after COVID.
Western and Central Africa (AFW) Region:
The Infrastructure Practice Group
Globally, 840 million people live more than 2 kilometers from all-weather roads, 1 billion people lack electricity, and 4 billion people lack Internet access. Access to basic infrastructure services is critical for creating economic opportunities for the poor. The Infrastructure Practice Group is charged with developing sustainable solutions to help close infrastructure gaps in developing and emerging economies.
Transport Global Practice
Better transport has the potential to improve the lives and livelihoods of billions of people by facilitating access to jobs, markets, and essential services such as healthcare or education. The World Bank provides financial and technical assistance to help countries implement sustainable mobility solutions that create real, lasting development benefits. For more information: https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/transport
Role & Responsibilities:
The Western and Central Africa Transport Unit (IAWT3) is hiring a Senior Transport Specialist, with extensive prior operational experience – preferably in Africa, to join the WB Yaounde country office. The Specialist will:
(i)lead the technical dialogue in the transport sector with the Cameroonian authorities, as well as with other clients in the sub-region.
(ii)Lead the preparation and implementation support of transport projects, covering the core elements, but also incorporating the key cross-cutting issues such as gender equality, private sector participation, climate change.
(iii)Participate in the sector policy dialogue, together with other development partners, under the guidance of the Program Team Leader and Practice Manager, with external stakeholders in the country and region.
(iv)lead and contribute to projects and knowledge activities in the unit and department, and in close collaboration with other Africa Transport units and other Global Practices.
(v)Develop capacity in the pertinent implementing entities to plan, develop, and manage transport projects under their jurisdiction, and pay greater heed to the cross-cutting issues of gender equality, climate change, inter alia.
(vi)Promote the participation of the private sector in provision of roads and transport infrastructure and services.
(vii)Provide support and guidance to improve the quality of transport projects in general, through technical advisory, quality assurance, and junior staff mentoring.
(viii)Provide guidance and leadership for the development of Bank strategies, particularly with respect to issues related to institutional design of implementation agencies, financing, and public private partnership options.
(ix)Provide support to teams in other sector units for the implementation of transport components in their projects, enhance the quality of project design, implementation and supervision, and related technical assistance components.
(x)Support the formulation and implementation of institutional reforms and capacity building initiatives in the road sector in cooperation with responsible agencies and other partners at country level.
The Senior Transport Specialist will be based in the World Bank’s Yaounde Office on a three-year appointment, with frequent short stays/extended missions in Douala. She/He will report to the IAWT3 Practice Manager. Her/His activities will be identified with the Practice Manager and adjusted based on business needs. She/He will actively participate in the relevant Country Management Unit (CMU) discussions, particularly on the preparation of Systematic Country Diagnostics (SCD) and Comprehensive Partnership Frameworks (CPF), as well as on portfolio reviews. She/He will also liaise and work with other global practices and cross-cutting solutions areas, as relevant, and ensure appropriate collaboration and partnership between Government, the World Bank Group, and other international and bilateral organizations involved in the transport sector in Cameroon and the sub-region.
Selection Criteria & Job Competencies:
Candidates for the position will be selected based on the following requirements:
- Advanced degree (at least Masters) in transport economics, economics, statistics and economics or similar discipline, with extensive experience in the transport sector, relevant for the assignment.
- Sustained record of achieving high-quality substantive results in the transport sector over a period of at least 12 years.
- expertise and practical experience in transport planning, design and construction, and transport policy, and skills to work in a challenging, difficult, and complex work environment.
- Strong track record in preparing and supervising development projects, including complex operations (with demonstrated knowledge of World Bank operational procedures, project cycle, fiduciary responsibilities, and safeguards policies) and capacity to design policy/institutional reforms based on appropriate analytics and with the identification of priority policy actions.
- In-depth background with adequate education, expertise and demonstrated leadership and competence in at least two of the following functional areas, in the transport sector: (a) regional corridors; (b) urban mobility; (c) railways; (d) road asset management (including output-based contractual approaches); and (e) port and/or maritime transport.
- Experience in addressing cross-cutting issues in transport, such as gender, impact evaluation, and climate change/decarbonization.
- Proven strategic skills and ability to integrate institutional, technical, economic, and financial elements in helping clients formulate institution-building strategies and viable implementation sequences, including social inclusion and accountability.
- Excellent understanding of safeguards requirements and robust technical expertise on road maintenance management and financing and regional integration/trade facilitation.
- Robust experience in working with cross-sectoral teams, including teams for safeguards and fiduciary aspects, and knowledge of key cross-cutting issues that impinge on the performance of the transport sector and on which the development of transport sector infrastructure and services needs to create positive effect, including environmental and social impacts, land acquisition and resettlement, gender equality, road safety, climate change, and the interplay with digital technologies for enhance transport sector performance.
- Experience with design and implementation of transport programs, and experience of working on programs financed by the World Bank or other multilateral or bilateral development partners and demonstrated track record of successful business development activities.
- Demonstrated project/program management skills and aptitude to lead teams, and ability to promote client/beneficiary participation to ensure implementation and long-term sustainability of project/programs.
- Familiarity with the challenges facing the transport sector in Sub-Saharan Africa and particularly FCV countries would be a plus.
- Excellent soft skills are required to engage appropriately with sophisticated demands from clients in the subregion and manage satisfactorily clients’ relationships in a complex and fragile context.
- High degree of dynamism and self-motivation, as well as the ability to work independently.
- Fluency in English and French both in writing and convincing verbal articulation skills are essential.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
Postuler (Apply for the job) sur son site Internet: https://worldbankgroup.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?id=21943&site=1
The Weekly Job Report, Le rapport de travail hebdomadaire: https://afriquejobs.com/?s=Job+Report
All companies hiring (Entreprises qui emploi au Cameroun): https://www.afriquejobs.com/2020/07/emplois-jobs-au-cameroun-liste-des.html
More jobs (Plus d\’offres d\’emploi): https://www.afriquejobs.com/