Peace and Security Analyst, Yaoundé, Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation
Role Responsibilities/ Responsabilités du rôle
Position: Peace and Security Analyst
Organisation: Nkafu Policy Institute
Location: Yaoundé, Cameroon
The Nkafu Policy Institute is a nonpartisan, independent think-tank at the Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation based in Yaoundé, Cameroon. Its mission is to provide independent, in-depth, and insightful policy recommendations that advance the Cameroonian economy and the economies of other sub-Saharan African countries and promote peace and security issues across Africa.
Founded in 2012 by Dr. Denis Foretia, the Nkafu Policy Institute seeks to advance public policies that help all Africans prosper in free, fair, peaceful, and sustainable economies. Our reputation is founded on our independence, high-quality research, and innovative policy prescriptions.
The Nkafu Policy Institute brings together leading analysts, experts, and contributors from three continents, Africa, Europe, and America in the fields of governance and democracy; health and education; peace and security; science and technology; and economic policy.
The Nkafu Policy Institute gives a lot of credit to fostering Peace and Security issues in Africa, a continent that has become a particular turbid geopolitical area. We contribute to Peace and Security by publishing original articles, reports, and policy briefs, submitted by established and new scholars, based in Africa and globally, that can influence mindsets and the academic exchange of knowledge in the areas of peace and security.
Therefore, we are serving as a platform for critical debate, policy recommendations, and solutions to African peace and security challenges. By engaging intellectuals of peace and security, the Nkafu Policy Institute avails theoretical and practical knowledge that investigates African and international solutions to African security and peace problems.
Areas of research include but are not limited to causes and consequences of violent conflict in Africa; conflict early warning and response mechanisms; the nexus between peace, security, governance, and development; the role of African Union and RECs in conflict resolution; the role of women and youth in conflict resolution; post-conflict peace-building processes. African common and national policies and international community commitment to peacebuilding in Africa; leadership and cooperation in Africa; African shared values, democracy, and governance in Africa.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions: Under the direct supervision of the Director of the Peace and Security Division of the Nkafu Policy Institute the following duties shall be as follows:
- Prepare a synthesis of the reports of the Peace and Security Division of the Nkafu Policy Institute. Identify common issues/challenges reported as well as good practices and potential areas for capacity building;
- Carry out mediation consultancies on local, national, and regional conflicts in Africa;
- Research to gather global good practices and analyses on Peace and Security Issues;
- Undertake a desk review to develop a list of sources of information and expertise, both individual and institutional relevant to supporting peace and security works;
- Undertake policy analysis tasks in the field of peace and security;
- Write and publish articles and policy briefs and Up-Eds on burning or pressing issues in the field of peace and security in Cameroon in particular and Africa as a whole;
- Participate in the execution of projects in the Peace and Security Division of the Nkafu Policy Institute;
- Facilitate in training workshops and conferences related to Peace and Security issues in Africa;
- Contribute to the development of online and onsite training modules regarding peace and security and other related issues in English and French; and
- Organize webinars and online training in peace and security-related issues in English and French.
- Knowledge about international, regional, and domestic peace and security challenges in Cameroon, Africa, and the world;
- Previous experience in working on projects relating to the Peace, and Security Agenda;
- Proven research and writing skills; training/facilitation skills, and the ability to set priorities, manage time effectively, and contribute to a team environment of respect, recognition, and mutual accountability;
- Excellent interpersonal and general communication skills;
- Ability to work under pressure to follow deadlines and handle numerous tasks simultaneously and still deliver quality work products;
- Strong and proven integrity, time management, work prioritization, and analytical skills; Demonstrated sensitivity, discretion, tact, and courtesy about peace and security, development principles, and projects;
- Commitment to upholding the organizational values and principles of the Nkafu Policy Institute; and
- Essential computer skills – familiarity with Microsoft Word programs, internet, e-mail.
- Integrity: Demonstrating consistency in upholding and promoting the values of the Nkafu Policy Institute in actions and decisions;
- Cultural Sensitivity/Valuing diversity: Appreciating differences in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Promoting Ethics and Integrity within the organization
- Organizational Awareness: Building staff competence, developing and empowering People; coaching and mentoring, and creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Teamwork: Building and promoting effective teams, communicating information and ideas.
- Conflict sensitivity: Leveraging conflict in the interests of the organization & setting standards.
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Fair and transparent decision making; risk management
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Master’s Degree in peace and security studies, political science, human rights, development cooperation, gender studies, public administration, or other related fields with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of progressively relevant professional working experience, in the fields of peace and security, human rights, and/or gender/women and peacebuilding
- Demonstrated research and reporting experience in the peace and security issues;
- Demonstrated experience in training in the conflict resolution, peace, and security fields with government, international, and civil society partners;
- Experience working in and with government and/or international institutions is an asset.
Fluent/professional spoken and written English and French
Application Deadline: 15 September 2022
Note: Applications are only accepted through the online application portal of the Nkafu Policy Institute.
Documents to be included when applying are:
- A cover letter with a brief presentation of your experience explaining your suitability for the work;
- An up-to-date personal CV.
- A sample of your publication in the related field
Postuler (Apply for the job) sur son site Internet: https://www.foretiafoundation.org/careers/peace-and-security-analyst/
The Weekly Job Report, Le rapport de travail hebdomadaire: https://afriquejobs.com/?s=Job+Report
All companies hiring (Entreprises qui emploi au Cameroun): https://www.afriquejobs.com/2020/07/emplois-jobs-au-cameroun-liste-des.html
More jobs (Plus d\’offres d\’emploi): https://www.afriquejobs.com/