Programme Associate, Associé de programme, Kousseri, UNHCR
Role Responsibilities/ Responsabilités du rôle
This position is advertised open to Group 1, Group 2, if applicable, and external applicants.
Procedures and Eligibility
Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS).
Duties and Qualifications
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Programme Associate would normally receive guidance from more senior programme staff in the operation/bureau/division. S/he may receive indirect guidance from other sections and units relevant to the country/region programme(s). UNHCR Manual, Operations Plans, UN and UNHCR financial/budgetary rules and regulations will guide the work of the Programme Associate. S/he is expected to stay abreast of the challenges posed by the operational context, the UN and humanitarian reform and institutional developments.
The incumbent is expected to have contacts within the organization and outside the duty station, as well as with partners and other stakeholders to collect information, monitor programme activities and implement administrative requirements. The incumbent will have to establish good working relationships with their peers at country level to facilitate the collection of information and other programme management related activities.
The incumbent is expected to work in line with the multi-functional team (MFT) approach as defined within the Program Manual, ensuring the participation of relevant stakeholders in all phases of the Program Management Cycle.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Support the assessment and analysis of the needs of persons of concern in the country/region in a participatory manner and using an Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) perspective as basis for planning.
– Assist in managing the development of a broad network of partners, good coordination practices and the development of partner capacities related to programme management if applicable.
– Assist in organizing and documenting the selection of partners in accordance with the policy on selection and retention of partners, ensuring due diligence to meet the requirements of projects.
– Provide support to the field with technical advice to ensure partnership agreements are established in a timely manner, regularly monitored and reported on in compliance with established guidelines and procedures included in the framework for implementing with partners.
– Support the implementation and performance of partnership agreements through field visits and appropriate physical monitoring if applicable, reviewing performance and financial reports.
– Support the development and implementation of MFT monitoring plans for activities implemented through partnerships and those under direct implementation in line with Programme Manual and programming instructions.
– Contribute to the review and analysis of operations plans, mid-year and year-end reports of the different UNHCR offices, ensuring quality assurance and compliance with established policies, guidelines, procedures and standards. Generate and maintain records of implementation rate (performance progress and expenditures) on a regular basis.
– Follow up on any change in regards to alignment of results chain, verifying indicators, budget, prioritization, apportioning needed to measure programme performance, trends and target interventions, contributing to soundness of Operations Plan and enhancement of data quality.
– Follow up with UNHCR offices the compliance with issuance of audit certificates for partners in line with the Policy on Risk-Based Project Audits.
– Provide support to the field through technical advice and training on resource allocation processes and other programmatic issues.
– Use UNHCR¿s corporate tools (e.g. Focus Client, Global Focus Insight and FOCUS Reader, MSRP) for core activities related to planning, budgeting, implementation and reporting, generating data for evidence-based programmatic decisions and analysis.
– Support UNHCRs programming of community of practice and continuously contributing to improvements of programming tools and processes.
– Perform other duties as required
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G6 – 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience
Demonstrated experience in programme management, Operation Management Cycle and related processes. Knowledge of Results Based-Management. Computer skills (in MS office) including advanced Excel skills (pivot tables, data management, etc.)
Completion of UNHCR Learning Programmes or specific training relevant to function of the position including Programme Management ¿ Level 1. E-tutoring of PM1, Framework for Implementing with Partners Learning Programme. Experience in programme management training and capacity building activities.
PG-Programme Management (programme cycles and reporting standards)
PG-Development and monitoring of programme assessments and surveys
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Good Knowledge of French and working knowledge of English.
Knowledge of Local language is an asset.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Candidates will be informed in case an evaluation will be required
Female candidates are encouraged.
See below for this postion’s Operational Context
Nature of the Position (up to 2,500 characters)
The operational area of the Logone et Chari department hosts nearly 33,887 Nigerian refugees, 133,399 internally displaced persons and nearly 43,402 returnees, i.e. 210,688 people whose needs are equivalent to 37.56% of the total population concerned in the Far North region. On December 05, 2021, an intercommunity conflict pitted a group of Massa and Mousgoum farmers against a group of Arab breeders in the locality of Ouloumsa Mousgoum.
By way of backround, a first inter-community conflict broke out in August 2021, between fishermen of Mousgoum ethnic groups and Arab herders in the Far North region around the sharing of natural resources and forced on the one hand, more than 11,000 Cameroonians to seek refuge in Chad in the province of Chari-Baguirmi and on the other hand, an internal displacement of more than 13,000 Cameroonians inside towards the localities of Logone Birni center, Zimado and Kousseri. Activities are coordinated through a sector approach where UNHCR is responsible for protection and shelter sectors. This responsibility is coordinated by the head of the UNHCR sub-office based in Maroua, assisted by a technical unit composed of an Administrator and a Program Associate. For an appropriate response to the present situation, the strengthening of operational support is essential to guarantee better coordination and proper implementation of activities in the field, with an experienced Program Associate dedicated to the humanitarian cause based in Kousseri,
The incumbent will work under the administrative supervision of the Head of Office and technical guidance of the Program Administrator, based in Maroua. The incumbent will maintain contacts within the organization and outside their duty station, as well as with partners and other stakeholders to gather information, monitor program activities and implement administrative requirements. He will have to establish good working relationships with his peers to facilitate information gathering and other activities related to the management of the program. He/she will work in accordance with the Multifunctional Team (MFT) approach as defined in the Program Manual, ensuring the participation of relevant stakeholders in all phases of the program management cycle. Possession of UNHCR field experience, including emergency situations and working in a remote area, coupled with the ability to sub-task under pressure and in a stressful working environment is desirable.
In addition, the candidate should be client oriented in daily contacts with staff, colleagues in other offices within the country, person of concern and external stakeholders. He/she must demonstrate good interpersonal skills. Fluency in French and English is mandatory, and knowledge of local languages is desirable.
Living and Working Conditions (up to 2,500 characters)
Kousseri is located in the Far North Region, Department of Logone and Chari around the 12th degree of north latitude and the 15th degree of longitude. It neighbours to the north and east on the Logone River, to the south by the district of Logone Birni and to the west by the district of Makary. Kousseri covers an area of 160 km². On the socio-political level, clashes between herders, farmers and fishermen over access to resources are a regular feature .
Biophysical environment: Climate is of the semi-arid Sahelian type with 2 seasons: a long dry season from October to May and a short rainy season from June to September. The temperature varies according to the seasons. It drops to 11° during the period from December to February and increases to 45° in the shade between March and April.
Human and social environment: Kousseri is headed by a 1st degree Sultan who oversees 3 Lawanat (2nd degree Chiefdom) which in turn cover 59 villages, including fifteen for Lawanat of Guebala, twenty for Amchidiré and finally six for Njagaré. This organization mentioned above is covered by the Sub-prefect representing the Administration.
Electricity and Water: The city is covered by the electricity network of the ENEO company and the Cameroonian National Water Company (CDE). However, this coverage is unstable due to untimely power cuts.
Duration of Appointment
One-year Fixed-term Appointment.
Closing date for submissions or applications is 25th March 2022
Postuler (Apply for the job) sur son site Internet: https://public.msrp.unhcr.org/psc/RAHRPRDX/EMPLOYEE/HR/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?FOCUS=Applicant&SiteID=2&
The Weekly Job Report, Le rapport de travail hebdomadaire, 6/20/2022: https://afriquejobs.com/2022/06/20/the-weekly-job-report-le-rapport-de-travail-hebdomadaire-06-20-2022/
All companies hiring (Entreprises qui emploi au Cameroun): https://www.afriquejobs.com/2020/07/emplois-jobs-au-cameroun-liste-des.html
More jobs (Plus d\’offres d\’emploi): https://www.afriquejobs.com/