GNO Compliance and Controlling Specialist, Spécialiste de la conformité et du contrôle GNO, Yaoundé, Plan International
Role Responsibilities/ Responsabilités du rôle
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Title GNO Compliance and Controlling Specialist
Functional Area Compliance/Finance
Reports to Compliance and Controlling Officer, Plan International Germany
Location Country Office- Ghana Travel required Yes
Effective Date 1st April 2022 Grade E
A Plan International Germany (GNO) is one of the largest National Offices within the Plan International Federation implementing humanitarian aid as well as transitional aid and long- term development projects in West Africa, with the German Government being a significant donor for GNO. As donor requirements are strict, Plan International Germany (GNO) seeks to hire a qualified and motivated Controlling and Compliance Specialist to support the Plan Country Offices of Central African Republic, Ghana, Burkina Faso and Mali in the high quality financial administration of these projects in compliance with donor guidelines.
The position holder will contribute to the successful financial project management in compliance with donor guidelines and strengthen the capacity of the respective Plan Country Offices and local partner organizations for quality financial administration.
DIMENSIONS OF THE ROLE
- Ensures that financial reports and the respective supporting documents shared with GNO are of high quality. To achieve this the Controlling and Compliance Specialist will work at three levels:
- Preliminary review of financial reports before they are shared with GNO
- Initial support and capacity building of financial teams of new partner organizations and Plan staff
- Depending on the needs in the Country Offices: strengthen systems for the financial management of GNO projects policies.
Collaborating directly with the respective GNO Compliance and Controlling Officer the position holder is responsible for:
- Supporting the financial planning, budgeting, reporting and financial monitoring of the GNO Grants Portfolio in West Africa with project partners, including EU, BMZ, GFFO, UN grants, and others
- Capturing and sharing the learning of the projects and manage quality assurance with regards to the financial administration in close collaboration with the partners at Country Office (CO), Program Unit (PU), partner and GNO levels,
- Supporting effective financial project delivery according to agreed work plans in close collaboration with the Project coordinators and relevant PU and CO staff,
- Provide oversight and analysis of the financial status of GNO projects against standard key performance indicators (KPIs),
- Provide technical assistance in terms of accounting (use of SAP/ Plan financial system), financial management, financial and systems of internal control related to GNO grants to ensure compliance with donor rules and regulations.
- Ensure grant compliance to donor requirements by conducting regular desk audits as well as occasional field audits,
- Contribute to proposal development focusing on budgeting for quality implementation and adequate cost recovery,
- Capacity building of CO and project staff on financial management and donor compliance, as part of start-up workshops for new grants and ongoing reporting/ final report
- Analysis and improvement of financial systems for GNO projects in collaboration with the respective CO finance teams,
- Develop and implement strategies to minimize financial risks.
The position holder will work very closely with the Plan staff involved in the financial management and administration of GNO projects. Collaborate with the finance staff of partner organizations.
The position holder will report to the CFM/CD at the CO and to the GNO Controlling and Compliance Officer for routine support and technical guidance. The reports will be shared with the Country Finance manager (CFM) and the Grants Support manager (GSM) of the respective COs for their feedback. The responsibility for human resources management lies with Plan Ghana. GNO´s Controlling and Compliance Officer will participate in the recruiting process.
The position holder will be expected to travel regularly (up to 40% of the time), including a one week in-house training at GNO.
COMMUNICATIONS AND WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
- COs: Collaborate with GNO funded project staff, mainly the finance staff and the grants coordinator.
- PU: Collaborate with GNO funded project staff, mainly the finance staff and the project coordinator
- POs: Collaborate with GNO funded project staff, mainly finance staff and project coordinators
- GNO: Controlling and Compliance Officers, Program Specialists West Africa
- Donor representatives (rarely)
- Auditors (high level)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, BEHAVIOURS, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED TO ACHIEVE ROLE’S OBJECTIVES:
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- Degree in Economics/Finance/Compliance Management or related discipline (Master’s Degree or higher will be an added advantage)
- 5 years working experience in the above fields
- Experience in reporting and presenting to the senior management
- Knowledge of compliance requirements of BMZ or any other of the above mentioned donors would be considered an asset
- Leading and managing financial audits and knowledge of internal financial controls and procedures
- Extensive experience in financial reporting and analysis as well as budgeting skills
SKILLS SPECIFIC TO THE POST
- Excellent French and English language skills, German language skills would be considered an asset
- Communicates clearly and effectively
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Understanding of project management cycle
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a part of a team
- Computer proficiency (MS Word, Excel)
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Strong management skills in coaching, problem solving and people management
PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT AND DEMANDS:
Typical office environment with field visit demands.
Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
PLAN INTERNATIONAL’S VALUES IN PRACTICE
We are open and accountable
- Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
- Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
- Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
- Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
- Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people
We strive for lasting impact
- Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
- Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
- Focuses resources to drive change and maximise long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
- Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
We work well together
- Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
- Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
- Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
- Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.
We are inclusive and empowering
- We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential
- We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge equality in our programs and our workplace
- We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
LEVEL OF CONTACT WITH CHILDREN
Mid contact: Occasional interaction with children
High level: Frequent interaction with children
Closing Date: 15/03/22
Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the very heart of everything that Plan International stands for.
We want Plan International to reflect the diversity of the communities we work with, offering equal opportunities to everyone regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Plan International is based on a culture of inclusivity and we strive to create a workplace environment that ensures every team, in every office, in every country, is rich in diverse people, thoughts, and ideas.
We foster an organisational culture that embraces our commitment to racial justice, gender equality, girls’ rights and inclusion.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. This means that we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with and we must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Plan International’s Safeguarding Children and Young People policy. Plan International also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this scheme we will request information from applicants previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
Postuler (Apply for the job) sur son site Internet: https://jobs.plan-international.org/job/Accra-GNO-Compliance-and-Controlling-Specialist/782685301/
The Weekly Job Report, Le rapport de travail hebdomadaire, 07/03/2022: https://afriquejobs.com/2022/03/07/the-weekly-job-report-le-rapport-de-travail-hebdomadaire-07-03-2022/
All companies hiring (Entreprises qui emploi au Cameroun): https://www.afriquejobs.com/2020/07/emplois-jobs-au-cameroun-liste-des.html
More jobs (Plus d\’offres d\’emploi): https://www.afriquejobs.com/