Head of Field Unit 32398, Chef de l’unité de terrain 32398, Kousseri, UNHCR
Role Responsibilities/ Responsabilités du rôle
This Job Opening is available to eligible UNHCR staff members and external applicants.
Procedures and Eligibility
Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS). Applicants must be nationals of, and be locally recruited within
the country of their employment.
Duties and Qualifications
Head of Field Unit
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The position is under direct supervision and guidance of the Representative/Head of Sub/Field-Office on issues concerning programme, protection, external relations, etc. Advice and operational support may also be received from other senior staff and support units at the Branch Office and from the Bureau at Headquarters.
The incumbent represents UNHCR at the field level. S/he will persuade and obtain assistance of others on matters of non-routine significance. Contacts predominantly with persons on subject matters of importance to Organization¿s programmes (e.g. counterparts in other organizations or at working level in national Governments).
While the functional responsibility of a Head of Field Unit will remain the same despite its grade level, the other parameters (therefore the depth and breadth of the competencies) such as the size of the population of concern to UNHCR, their specific legal/security concerns, volume of assistance, number of operational / Implementing partners and the size of the Office (i.e. number of UNHCR staff and their grade levels) will determine the appropriate grade level. The operational autonomy also depends upon the same parameters/competencies. The Field Unit managed by the incumbent has no other professional position and less than 6 General Service positions. The supervisor exercises substantive oversight and provides regular guidance, direction and support to the incumbent.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Monitor and report on the implementation of refugee conventional responsibilities and international obligations of the local authorities vis-à-vis the population of concern to UNHCR within the AOR.
– Advocate and promote UNHCR standards concerning the treatment of persons of concern.
– Ensure that the basic needs of the concerned population are properly assessed with the participation of the beneficiaries themselves, the host governments and/or the competent Implementing partners and/or UNHCR itself.
– Subject to the needs, ensure that the planning, formulation and budgeting of identified assistance projects are done as per UNHCR programme cycle; upon approval of assistance project, ensure the timely implementation and monitoring of identified assistance activities.
– Ensure through the subordinate staff that deadlines for monitoring and reporting of UNHCR operational activities are met on a regular basis.
– Manage UNHCR resources, both human, financial/material, at an optimum level for the wellbeing of the concerned population and the UNHCR staff.
– Ensure that security measures of UNHCR office (and residential, wherever applicable) compounds are always up to date; any security breaches and/or potential security threat should be reported immediately to competent UN security coordinator in the country.
– Ensure that staff welfare, both in terms of working and living conditions, are maintained at a satisfactory level within the constraints in the operational area.
– Guide, coach and advocate the subordinate staff to maintain highest standards of conduct and behaviour thorough one¿s own practice and deeds.
– Prepare and submit regular reports, both verbally and written, to the UNHCR Representative/HoSO. In the event of substantial telephone conversation that leads to specific action or non-action, it should be recorded and share with the other party.
– Any other responsibilities/functions deemed necessary or as delegated by the UNHCR Representative of the country in order to meet the level of the services in the organization.
– Represent UNHCR in inter-agency fora and with local authorities in the AOR.
– Enforce compliance with UNHCR¿s global protection, programme, finance, human resources and security policies and standards.
– Submit project proposals for assistance to refugees and other persons of concern to UNHCR Representation or Sub-Office in coordination with local authorities and NGOs.
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P1/NOA – 1 year relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or no experience with Graduate degree; or no experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Business Administration; Economics; International Relations;
Law; Management; Political Science;
or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
HCR Management Learning Prog; HCR Managing Operatns Lrng Prg;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Applied knowledge of protection principles, operational arrangements/standards in relation to protection, assistance, UNHCR office management and staff administration.
*PR-Refugee Protection Principles and Framework
*PR-Protection-related guidelines, standards and indicators
*HR-Administration of Staff Contracts and Benefits
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Good knowledge of French and English.
Knowledge of the local language is an asset.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Only Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an eliminatory written test and an interview.
Females Candidates are encouraged.
Duration of Appointment
One-year Fixed-term Appointment.
Closing date for submissions of applications is 30 December 2021
Postuler (Apply for the job) sur son site Internet: https://public.msrp.unhcr.org/psc/RAHRPRDX/EMPLOYEE/HR/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?FOCUS=Applicant&SiteID=2&
The Weekly Job Report, Le rapport de travail hebdomadaire, 13/12/2021: https://afriquejobs.com/2021/12/12/the-weekly-job-report-le-rapport-de-travail-hebdomadaire-13-12-2021/
All companies hiring (Entreprises qui emploi au Cameroun): https://www.afriquejobs.com/2020/07/emplois-jobs-au-cameroun-liste-des.html
More jobs (Plus d\’offres d\’emploi): https://www.afriquejobs.com/