Deputy Director Operations (DDO), Directeur adjoint des opérations (DDO), Yaoundé, International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Role Responsibilities/ Responsabilités du rôle
Requisition ID: req22728
Job Title: Deputy Director Operations (DDO)
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: Yes
Location: Yaounde, Cameroon
The IRC started operations in Cameroon in 2016 to respond to the increasing concerns for people affected by violence linked to Boko Haram, in the Far North of the country. Assistance to displaced populations extends across the Far North, notably Mayo Sava, Mayo Tsanaga and Logone & Chari, delivering lifesaving programming to increase access to water and improving hygiene practices in vulnerable displaced and host communities, cash programming to enable poor families to meet basic needs and improve food security, and protection programming, including meeting specific needs of women and girls. The IRC has field bases in Maroua and Kousseri.
Following the increasing crisis in the North West and South West (NWSW) regions of Cameroon, the IRC expanded its operations into the South West region in August 2018 and into the North West in 2019. The IRC is delivering lifesaving humanitarian assistance to internally displaced populations, with activities in Fako, Meme, Ndian, Lebialem and Mezam divisions managed through field bases in Buea and Bamenda.
With its coordination office in Yaoundé, the IRC Cameroon country program will develop its new ‘Strategy 100’ strategic plan in late 2021, through which we aim to provide the best possible impact for some of the most vulnerable boys, girls, women, and men affected by the humanitarian crises. In all that we do, we strive to deliver through IRC’s core values of Integrity, Accountability, Service and Equality.
The IRC Cameroon country program is looking for an Deputy Director Operations (DDO) to maintain and improve effective support systems (Supply Chain, Administration, IT, and Secuirty). The DDO will be responsible for ensuring that all the necessary systems, policies and procedures are rolled out, understood, and implemented by the relevant staff in all program areas. The DDO is key in the overall management of the organisation, with a focus on the smooth and high-quality running of all opertoins. S/he contributes to the development and achievment of strategic objectives as a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT).
The DDO will directly supervise Operations staff in the coordination office in Yaounde and also provide indirect supervision to SC, IT, Admin, and Security staff in field offices. The DDO will report to the Country Director and will work closely with the Field Coordinators in Buea, Maroua, and Kousseri, as well as DDP, HR Coordinator, Compliance Coordinator and DDF and all the support regional functions. The DDO will also take ownership of emergency preparedness activities in consultation with other colleagues
- General Management
- Continue the improvement of operations within the country program with the development of a yearly operations work plan
- Lead efforts in operations systems improvement and oversee change management processes, including the roll-out of new software and management platforms – specifically, lead on INTEGRA ERP system
- Feed into and monitoring budgets, ensuring that equipment/support costs are appropriate and allow effective resourcing of operations
- Act as a line manager for the Supply Chain Coordinator, Senior IT Manager, Administration Officer, and Security Coordinator
- Ensure that the IRC complies with all aspects of Cameroonian law (employment, tax, contracts etc.)
- Ensure all operations policies and procedures are up to date and understood by all staff.
- In collaboration with the Finance and HR departments, ensure that appropriate field office oversight is in place and documented
- Maintain strong partnerships and collaboration with the Field Coordinators and ensure linkages with Supply Chain, IT, Administration, Security & Safety
- Ensure all new proposal have received appropriate operations review and provided support to Field Coordinators on operations budget lines
- Lead the implementation of the Country Strategic Action Plan (SAP) as it relates to operations
- Assess and build capacity of Cameroon operations functions and staff in all bases
- Actively participate in grants opening, implementation, and closing meetings
- Lead on Operations Scorecard process – ensuring data inputs are of high-quality and presenting progress on action plans on a quarterly basis
- Participate in strategic and day to day management decisions as a member of the Senior Management Team
- Conduct analysis of staffing structure in coordination with Country Director, Deputy Director of Programs (DDP), and Deputy Director of Finance (DDF) and make appropriate recommendations
- Represent IRC Cameroon operations in meetings as required, including government meetings, donor and other partners.
- Act up in the Country Director role when needed
- Actively participate (in collaboration with Finance) in responding to audit recommendation and corrective action plan follow up.
- Review and compile support cost inputs for annual operating budget and its revision
- Supply Chain
- Directly supervise SC Coordinator based in Yaounde
- Provide training and capacity building to logistics and supply chain staff
- Oversee processes and ensure compliance with IRC policies and donor regulations (coordinating with Compliance coordinator as needed)
- Oversee the implementation of all supply chain policies and procedures for purchasing, delivery, storage, communications and transport
- Support and ensure supply chain staff work effectively with other units to improve planning such as procurement and distribution planning and a rational resource utilization
- Undertake periodic national system reviews of procurement, fleet, asset, warehouse/inventory, suppliers and vendor contracts and communication systems to identify areas for improvement and compliance with IRC global systems.
- Review key/routine reports (supply chain monthly reports, BvA tool, procurement and distribution plans, closed grants and expired inventories) and provide feedback and recommendations to mitigate any potential risk.
- Provide high-level monitoring of budgets for spending and resourcing of all operations and support lines
- Review departmental key performance indicators and take appropriate action support in achieving the set objectives.
- In cooperation with the HR Coordinator, ensure the implementation of administrative systems and procedures
- Ensure that all leased properties conform to health and safety standards
- Ensure the processing of all expatriate staff paperwork for visas, work permits, and travel arrangements is done in a timely manner and follows the most recent update to Cameroonian law and protocol
- Liaise with Legal reviews to ensure compliance around national law with regards to taxation, procurement, contracting etc
- Update/design procedures when necessary, in order to ensure smooth running of the country program
- Support in the rolling out of SOPs, and update to ways of working and procedures
- Directly supervise Admin staff based in Yaounde
- Directly supervise the Senior IT Manager based in Yaounde
- Update IT policy and procedures and ensure implementation of these through the IT senior manager and other IT colleagues in field offices
- Ensure that all IT equipment is maintained and secure and an appropriate replacement schedule is in place
- Ensure that IT and connectivity set-up for Cameroon allows the full functioning of operations systems and platforms
The Security& Humanitarian Access Coordinator is directly managed by the Country Director and provides security advice and actions to the country program in this manner. However, the DDO will work closely with the Security Coordinator and his/her team, specifically, in order to:
- Ensure that Security Management Plans for the IRC in Cameroon are in place and support the roll-out of training for staff in security procedures and thinking
- Security is well resources in budgets, and compliance with security SOPs and protocols is well-respected
The goal is to ensure proper linking of operations & security – both with program implementation and internal workforce considerations
- Bachelors degree required; Masters degree in a related field preferred
- Min. 7 years progressive NGO, project and personnel management experience, including a minimum of 3 years in an operations management role, preferably in the region
- Previous experience working in emergency or post-conflict contexts
- Knowledge of IRC procedures and policies and donors regulations (ECHO, SIDS, BHA, SDC, BPRM, etc.)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Solid organizational skills: ability to be flexible & work well under pressure in a fast-paced multi-task team environment
- Strong interpersonal and management skills
- Full fluency in both French and English is required
- Excellent computer and software skills
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Equality, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Postuler (Apply for the job) sur son site Internet: https://rescue.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/22728?c=rescue
The Weekly Job Report, Le rapport de travail hebdomadaire, 29/11/2021: https://afriquejobs.com/2021/11/28/the-weekly-job-report-le-rapport-de-travail-hebdomadaire-29-11-2021/
All companies hiring (Entreprises qui emploi au Cameroun): https://www.afriquejobs.com/2020/07/emplois-jobs-au-cameroun-liste-des.html
More jobs (Plus d\’offres d\’emploi): https://www.afriquejobs.com/