Senior Economist, Économiste principal, Yaoundé, World Bank
Role Responsibilities/ Responsabilités du rôle
Job #: req13502
Organization: World Bank
Sector: Poverty Reduction
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Required Language(s): English, French
Preferred Language(s): Portuguese and/or Spanish
Closing Date: 11/18/2021 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty and promoting shared prosperity. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit http://www.worldbank.org.
Western and Central Africa (AFW) Region
We need the best and brightest talent focused on Sub-Saharan African countries in order to harness the potential and innovation happening across the continent. Africa is a continent on the move, with a young population and a growing market of nearly 1.2bn people. We are committed to making the Africa regional teams into leading innovation hubs.
Yet, these vast opportunities are tempered by persistent gaps in education, health, and skills, which have Africa only reaching forty percent of its estimated potential. Moreover, conflict, food insecurity, population growth, and the disruptive forces of climate change threaten to curtail or even reverse the progress that has been made over the past decades.
In West and Central Africa, the World Bank is a leading partner with a growing portfolio of 387 projects totaling more than $44.1 billion in areas such as agriculture, trade and transport, energy, education, health, water and sanitation- all to support job creation, gender equality, poverty reduction, and better lives. Across the continent, the World Bank’s program has nearly doubled over the last 10 years. By 2030, about 87% of the world’s extreme poor are projected to live in Sub-Saharan Africa, so this is where our mission to end extreme poverty and to promote shared prosperity will be achieved.
Are you ready to make an impact? We are looking for dedicated professionals to join our innovative and diverse team to improve people’s lives and help countries build back better after COVID.
Western and Central Africa (AFW) Region:
Poverty & Equity Global Practice
For almost 25 years, extreme poverty was steadily declining. Now, for the first time in a generation, the quest to end poverty has suffered its worst setback. Global extreme poverty is expected to rise in 2020 for the first time in over 20 years as the disruption of the COVID-19 pandemic compounds the forces of conflict and climate change, which were already slowing poverty reduction progress. There is no silver bullet to ending poverty, and strategies to reach the least well-off must be tailored to each country’s context, taking into account the latest data and analysis and the needs of the people. How the world responds to these major challenges today will have a direct bearing on whether the current reversals in global poverty reduction can be turned around. For more information: https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/poverty
The Western and Central Africa Poverty unit (EAWPV) covers 22 countries facing a broad range of challenges and opportunities, but they all share the common goal of eliminating extreme poverty and reducing inequality.
Duties and Accountabilities:
The selected candidate will be based in Yaoundé, Cameroon and will support the poverty program in Cameroon as well as other countries in the region, including the Central African Republic. They will have to:
- Oversee the design and delivery of an impactful Advisory Services and Analytics (ASA) program in the selected countries.
- Serve as the World Bank’s focal point for monitoring progress on poverty reduction in Cameroon and engage in policy dialogue with internal and external country-level partners.
- Prepare and/or implement lending operations to support statistical capacity building and support the preparation and delivery of the broader operational portfolio in Cameroon and the region.
- Engage with different operational and sectoral task teams working in the selected countries to support the operationalization of the WBG’s twin goals to improve the poverty reduction impact
- Contribute to the global knowledge base of the poverty practice by participating in and contributing to the work of at least one of the four thematic lines.
- Master’s degree (PhD preferred) in Economics, Statistics or related field, with a quantitative background and at least eight (8) years of proven experience.
- Fully understands the World Bank’s development initiatives, corporate commitments, policies and practices related to ASA, the suite of lending products and Trust Fund administration.
- Demonstrated excellence and in-depth knowledge and skills in: (i) survey data and statistical systems; (ii) welfare and poverty analysis, encompassing the range of pathways and risks to poverty reduction and shared prosperity; and (iii) ex-ante and ex-post analysis of distributional impacts of policy reforms.
- Superb technical and quantitative skills as an applied microeconomist, and able to translate analyses into recommendations for strategies, policies and programs for poverty reduction.
- Superb interpersonal skills and excellent judgment, track record of effective collaboration with multi-disciplinary teams, governments, development partners and NGOs.
- Excellent writing and communication skills in both English and French (Spanish and/or Portuguese would be a plus).
- Ability to work with staff from all levels and to mentor, coach and motivate more junior staff.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
Postuler (Apply for the job) sur son site Internet: https://worldbankgroup.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?id=13502&site=1
The Weekly Job Report, Le rapport de travail hebdomadaire, 11/10/2021: https://afriquejobs.com/2021/10/11/the-weekly-job-report-le-rapport-de-travail-hebdomadaire-11-10-2021/
All companies hiring (Entreprises qui emploi au Cameroun): https://www.afriquejobs.com/2020/07/emplois-jobs-au-cameroun-liste-des.html
More jobs (Plus d\’offres d\’emploi): https://www.afriquejobs.com/