Field Coordinator North-West/South-West Regions, Coordinateur de terrain Régions Nord-Ouest/Sud-Ouest, Buea, International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Role Responsibilities/ Responsabilités du rôle
Requisition ID: req19323
Job Title: Field Coordinator North-West/South-West Regions
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: Yes
Location: Buea, Cameroon
The IRC started operations in Cameroon in 2016 to respond to the increasing concerns for people affected by violence linked to Boko Haram, in the Far North of the country. Following the increasing crisis in the North West and South West regions of Cameroon, the IRC expanded its operations into the South West region in August 2018 and into the North West in 2019.
In the NW and SW regions the IRC is delivering lifesaving humanitarian assistance to internally displaced populations, with field bases in Buea and Bamenda. Programming in these regions includes lifesaving assistance to increase access to water and improving hygiene practices in vulnerable displaced and host communities, voucher programming to enable poor families to meet basic needs and improve food security, and protection programming, including meeting specific needs of women and girls.
With its coordination office in Yaounde, the IRC Cameroon country program will develop its new ‘Strategy 100’ strategic plan in 2021, through which we aim to provide the best possible impact for some of the most vulnerable boys, girls, women, and men affected by the humanitarian crises. In all that we do, we strive to deliver through IRC’s core values of Integrity, Equality, Service and Accountability.
The NWSW Field Coordinator will lead IRC Cameroon Programs and Operations in the North-West and South-West regions and specifically in Fako, Meme, Ndian, Lebialem and Mezam divisions. He/She will be responsible for overall field coordination, program support, and field office management working in collaboration with the Country Director (CD), Deputy Director–Programs (DDP), Deputy Director–Finance (DDF), Deputy Director–Operations (DDO) (or Operations Coordinator), HR & Admin Coordinator, Compliance Coordinator, Safety, Security & Humanitarian Access Coordinator, and country program Technical Coordinators.
The position will report directly to the Country Director and is responsible for overall client-focused program implementation, the direct oversight and quality of the core support services: Administration, Human Resources, Supply Chain and Finance and representation in the NWSW regions.
As the IRC’s most senior representative in the field and a member of the country Senior Management Team (SMT), the Field Coordinator must bring a senior leadership profile with a proven track record in managing programs in complex, emergency environments. The Field Coordinator will be confident, eloquent and organized, experienced in matters of humanitarian access and negotiations, able to represent IRC to partners including beneficiaries and donors as well as handle sensitive, complex issues in a diplomatic way that puts the needs of beneficiaries first.
- Leadership, Coordination and Representation
- Ensure leadership and strategic direction in the area of operation, in coordination with the Senior Management Team (SMT)
- Establish adequate systems of coordination with external stakeholders (bilateral or otherwise), including but not limited to OCHA, INGOs, NNGOs, UN agencies and local administrative authorities, while representing IRC policies, promoting long-term strategy, and problem/conflict resolution
- Actively participate in external coordination meetings including NGO coordination and clusters, serving as the IRC focal point and ensuring sharing of information internally with the country program
- Ensure adequate IRC visibility at community level and promote acceptance
- Provide key advocacy messages to the country leadership team for national level advocacy and communications
- Active member and contributor to the Country Management Team and other leadership fora.
- Actively participate in the development and implementation of the Strategy 100, include review processes
- Staff Management and Development
- Ensure effective, open communication and professional relationships among team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing follow-up and support to enable staff to perform successfully in their positions
- Ensure timely completion and quality of timesheet, work plans, leave, and staff training/development activities
- Participate in the recruitment of staff according to the authorized organization chart.
- Adhere to global and national employment policies and promote adherence to the IRC Way.
- Implement/maintain and document all administrative procedures for the smooth functioning of the field office (filing system, intra-office communication procedures, paper flow procedures, computer use and protocols, etc.)
- Implement/maintain the national staff personnel policy manual
- Implement/maintain system for regular staff evaluation, and standard procedures for new position posting, interviewing, and applicant selection in line with IRC and donor requirements.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions. Resolve staff conflicts and concerns in a timely manner
- Promote continuous staff capacity building and training Ensure and champion compliance to IRC Way – the IRC’s code of conduct – and take appropriate action in the event of a violation in collaboration with Human Resources department
- Humanitarian Access and Security Management
- Assume overall responsibility for the security and safety of program staff and assets within the area of responsibility
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the area, promptly reporting concerns or incidents to the DDO and CD and liaising with other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment
- Implement/revise and maintain written security procedures and protocols
- Review and revise regularly the Security Management Plan (SMP) in close collaboration with the Safety, Security and Access Coordinator (security guidelines manual, evacuation plan, contingency plan and SOPs)
- Ensure that all staff is adequately trained in the use of all communications equipment.
- Establish and maintain a well-documented emergency response procedure that all staff can follow
- Monitor security situation in liaison with UNDSS, international agencies communities, beneficiaries and other stakeholders, and actively participate in access coordination meetings
- Ensure compliance with IRC procedures and donors’ requirements
- Ensure field concerns and challenges are brought to relevant stakeholders to push for standards and procedures
- Ensure that all new employees and visitors receive a safety and security briefing within 48 hours of arrival.
- Program Development & Design Support
- In close collaboration with relevant Technical Coordinator(s), Senior Program Coordinator, and Field Managers, lead the field-based teams in the development of new proposals and initiatives for the respective field sites
- Participate in the development of budgets for program proposals in conjunction with the grants and finance units
- In collaboration with the DDO, conduct operational feasibility assessments for any new geographic zone of interventions, providing recommendations for appropriate modalities of implementation
- Ensure regular provision of contextual updates to SMT and Technical Coordinators relevant to program strategy and implementation, to help inform needed adaptations and response
- Project Cycle Management
- In close collaboration with the Field Managers, oversee day-to-day implementation of all activities in the field sites, providing constructive supervision to each department to achieve IRC’s program strategy
- Work closely and coordinate with IRC’s supply chain, finance and grant staffs to ensure program activities and expenditures are processed on time, including active participation in opening/closing meetings and reviews
- Ensure all programs have clear activity plans, spending plans, monitoring and evaluation plans in line with donor agreements and organizational policies and procedures, ensuring these are regularly monitored and updated
- Working closely with Technical Coordinators, lead the coordination of needs assessments ensuring proactive identification of emerging needs
- Implement/revise and maintain a regular system of project evaluation and progress monitoring (POM, PIM)
- In collaboration with the NW Field Manager, ensure completion of regular program reports, documentation of results, maintaining of detailed records, and sharing with key stakeholders within the country program – in line with IRC policies and practices, respecting agreed deadlines
- Ensure regular monitoring of the performance of the partners to achieve the established objectives of the project and provision of technical support, capacity building and advice
- With support from program teams, ensuring accountability to beneficiaries, sensitivity, and gender inclusion are adequately addressed in IRC programs
- Emergency Response and Emerging Crises
- Actively contribute to the strategic planning process for the emergency response and work collaboratively with management and all IRC departments
- In collaboration with Country Emergency Team (CET) focal points and SMT, act as lead for coordination of IRC’s emergency response implementation and reporting on progress of activities and emerging needs
- Operations and Finances
- Promote coordination and teamwork between program and operations staff in the field office to improve quality of operations support
- Ensure the development, implementation and monitoring of financial and operational policies and procedures to ensure compliance with IRC and donor policies across all programs
- Implement and maintain verifiable internal financial controls in line with IRC policies and procedures
- Oversee and maintain a cash management system
- Adhere to budget holder responsibilities, including monthly Budget vs Actual reviews and ensuring clean up of BvA online system
- Ensure that IRC and donor supply chain policies and procedures are fully respected, including procurement procedures and warehouse management system
- Implement and supervise maintenance of a system for tracking and identifying all IRC assets
- Ensure accurate supply chain reports including Assets Inventory, Warehouse/stock inventory, purchase request tracking, fleet and generators management are produced on time
- Ensure that all contracts with suppliers and vendors are legal and protect IRC to the fullest extent possible
- In collaboration with the DDO, participate to the IRC’s new Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software (INTEGRA) implementation
Education: Master’s degree (or equivalent work experience) in humanitarian action, conflict or security management or other related discipline
- A minimum of 5-10 years of professional experience in humanitarian management response, preferably in Africa, including field base management and/or supervision of program support services (administration, finance, supply chain and security).
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Significant experience in humanitarian access and negotiations
- Ability to think strategically and solve daily problems at the same time.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Demonstrated systems and process analysis skills and experience in developing strong monitoring and evaluation systems.
- Strong management skills, including project planning, budget management and reporting.
- Excellent understanding of humanitarian response and standards such as SPHERE.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment and effective in representation and liaison. Able to plan, prioritize and manage multiple tasks under pressure and deliver tangible benefits to a team.
- Human resource management experience, including staff capacity building.
- Excellent professional approach, enhanced skills and proven ability to build staff capacity.
- Excellent computer skills: MS Word, Excel.
- Proficiency in English
- Pidgin English local language knowledge would be a plus
- French would be an asset
Preferred experience & skills:
- Excellent understanding of humanitarian response and standards such as SPHERE.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment and effective in representation and liaison. Able to plan, prioritize and manage multiple tasks under pressure and deliver tangible benefits to a team
- Human resource management experience, including staff capacity building
- Excellent professional approach, enhanced skills and proven ability to build staff capacity
- Excellent computer skills: MS Word, Excel
Housing: The Field Coordinator will be based in Buea with regular travel to Bamenda and occasional travel to Yaoundé. Accommodation is shared with other international staff in a guesthouse with a private bedroom with electricity, internet and cable TV.
This is an unaccompanied position. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Security: Buea is security level orange and the IRC has a curfew in place. The situation is calm though there remains a risk of terrorist attack and kidnap.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Equality, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Postuler (Apply for the job) sur son site Internet: https://rescue.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/19323?c=rescue
The Daily Job Report, Le rapport de travail quotidien 02/08/2021 (Emplois non affichés individuellement/ Jobs not individually posted on the site): https://afriquejobs.com/2021/07/28/the-daily-job-report-le-rapport-de-travail-quotidien-28-07-2021/
All companies hiring (Entreprises qui emploi au Cameroun): https://www.afriquejobs.com/2020/07/emplois-jobs-au-cameroun-liste-des.html
More jobs (Plus d\’offres d\’emploi): https://www.afriquejobs.com/